About Boral® WikiSTIK™
The Boral® WikiSTIK™ is a unique solution to an industry-wide problem that has existed for decades. Namely, how do building or technical product manufacturers like Boral keep all of our literature and technical information updated for the audiences that really need it most?
The Boral® WikiSTIK™ works as easy as a flash drive and as hard as an architectural binder. The Boral® WikiSTIK™ puts all of our Boral building product information and technical data at the design professional's fingertips. Just plug it in and sync. No more updating your notebook or wondering what changes are out there.
• Always Current
• Extremely Portable
• Platform Agnostic
• Customize Your Specs as Needed
• Eco-Friendly, Sustainable
• User Friendly
• Plug It In, Sync and Go...
How to Order Your Free Boral® WikiSTIK™
The Boral® WikiSTIK™ features the full architectural binder information, specifications, brochures and construction details for Boral Bricks, Boral Pavers, Boral Cultured Stone® and Boral Roofing, and is supplied free of charge for our architectural and Specifier customers throughout North America.
Using Your Boral® WikiSTIK™
The Boral® WikiSTIK™ interface is a Java based application that runs identically on both Mac OS X and Windows based computers. In addition, there is nothing to install. Simply launch the Boral® WikiSTIK™ application on the flash drive and you're up an running. Launching the application, however, is different on each platform.
View the Boral® WikiSTIK™ Quick Start Guide below for complete instructions and information on the proper use of this application.
Recommended System Specifications:
• Windows XP, Vista or higher. Mac OS X 10.3 or higher. Monitor Resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher.
• Requires High-speed Internet Access (DSL or higher)
• Available USB 2.0 Port
• PDF Reader, such as Adobe® Reader or Apple Preview
• RTF Editor, such as Microsoft® Word or Text Edit
Starting the Boral® WikiSTIK™ Application
1. Insert your Boral® WikiSTIK™ flash drive into an available USB port on your computer.
2. The Boral® WikiSTIK™ application should start automatically** for users with Windows XP or Vista.
3. You may be prompted to select 'what you want to do' with the content on the Boral® WikiSTIK™. Choose 'Launch WikiSTIK™' in the list provided.
4. Once the application starts, you'll be prompted to register your software. This step is required to use the Boral® WikiSTIK.
**Under certain circumstances, you may be prompted again to select a program to use to open the Boral® WikiSTIK application. In this instance you must 'Cancel' and manually launch the Boral® WikiSTIK™ application. See 'Manual Launch' below.
1. Insert your Boral® WikiSTIK™ flash drive into an available USB port on your computer. We recommend NOT using the USB port found on your Apple keyboard.
2. The Boral® WikiSTIK™ drive will appear on your desktop. Double-click this icon to open the drive.
3. Now, double-click the file that says 'WikiSTIK™ for Mac'.
4. Once the application starts, you'll be prompted to register your software. This step is required to use the Boral® WikiSTIK™.
My Boral® WikiSTIK™ doesn't auto-launch. What should I do?
For Windows Users:
The Boral® WikiSTIK™ will still auto-start in most current Windows environments. However, there are circumstances where the auto-start feature may be restricted. In these instances, Windows users should do the following to manually launch the Boral® WikiSTIK™ application:
1. With the Boral® WikiSTIK™ flash drive inserted, click the 'Start' button in your task bar and select 'My Computer'.
2. In the window that opens, right click the WikiSTIK™ icon and select 'Explore'.
3. Double click the file called 'WikiSTIK for PC'.
For Mac Users:
The Boral® WikiSTIK™ does not auto-launch in any version of Mac OS X. You must manually launch the Boral® WikiSTIK™ application:
Insert the Boral® WikiSTIK™ flash drive into an available USB port on your computer.
When the drive icon appears on your desktop, double-click it.
In the window that opens, double click the file called 'WikiSTIK for Mac'.
My Boral® WikiSTIK™ is not syncing. What should I do?
The most common reason for sync failure is a disabled or excessively slow internet connection. Internet connections become unavailable for various reasons, so first confirm that you have a connection at the computer you are using. The easiest way to do this is by pointing a web browser to a website that you have never been to. If the page loads, you have an internet connection. Navigating to pages on sites you regularly visit may load from your local cache, and thus, are not helpful in determining if your connection is active.
If you are sure you are connected to the internet, you may be experiencing failed syncs due to a slow internet connection. High-speed connections such as DSL & Cable can sometimes drop below their promised download speeds. A stable download speed of around 768k is required to sync the Boral® WikiSTIK™. You may need to attempt to sync at another location or network.