Sustainable Attributes of Concrete Roof Tiles
A High Performance Roof That's Good for the Planet
Boral Roofing starts with an inherently sustainable mix and engineers it for long-term performance:
- Innovative tile computer modeling and engineering design tools allow us to minimize the use of raw materials while not compromising the long term performance of the roof.
- Our tile is specifically engineered to allow greater airflow between the tile and the roof deck - creating a more energy efficient roof system.
- Using concrete roof tile reduces the transfer of heat into the attic space by 70 percent compared to other roofing materials, such as asphalt shingles.
- Boral Roofing products have a high thermal mass that helps reduce peak energy demand, maintaining the comfort level in living spaces.
- Throughout a 50-year service life, a tile roof can reabsorb up to 20 percent of the CO2 emitted during the manufacture of the cement content.*
- If concrete tile ever needs to be replaced, it can be recycled. By contrast, over 11 million tons of asphalt shingle waste is generated annually in the U.S.
- Reroofing jobs account for 10 million tons with another 1 million from manufacturing scrap.**
* Icelandic Building Research Institute, Norwegian Building Institute, Danish Technical Institute "CO2 absorption".
**California Integrated Waste Management Board